Spa N.S. is a fully vertical (Junior Infants to 6th Class) co-educational school.
Spa National School has approximately 224 pupils with a teaching staff of 13 full time teachers. The school also has a full time secretary and a part time caretaker.
All school policies are available to parents upon request from the school office.
A copy of School calendar is issued to each family at the start of each school year.
The School day:
The normal school day for Infant classes is 8.50am – 1.30pm
The normal school day for 1st to 6th classes is 8.50am – 2.30pm
Pre & Post School Supervision:
Pre-school supervision begins when the main school gates are opened at 8.35 a.m.
Classes begin at 8.50 a.m. and finish at 2.30 p.m. (Infants finish and should be collected at 1.30 p.m.)
Post school supervision is from 2.30 p.m. to 2.45 p.m.
Please note that
- Pupils should NOT be dropped on the school grounds BEFORE 8.35 a.m.
- Any parent collecting a child after 2.45 pm will collect them from the school office.
All parents are asked to ensure that students arrive to school before classes begin and that disruptions to class time are always kept to a minimum. If you need to deliver any item (lunchbox, sports gear etc) to your son/daughter during the day, please drop it to the school office and it will be passed on.
The class roll is called daily at 9.50 a.m. If a student is not present in the school at this time, the Department of Education expect them to be marked absent. Every school is required by law to monitor student attendance and in particular to notify/ explain when a pupil reaches 20 days absences. If your child is absent please remember to highlight this and provide the reason for the absence on the aladdin school app.
Students are expected to wear their complete school tracksuit or school uniform and black shoes/runners at all times. This dress code will be monitored strictly as it represents the standards set by our school. It is helpful if children have their names marked on their uniforms, tracksuits, coats and other personal belongings. Eye shadow, make-up or nail varnish is not allowed. Full details, please see Uniform page on this website.
Mark all belongings:
Please ensure that all personal property i.e. coats, jumpers, tracksuit tops, school books, copies, lunch boxes, stationary etc. are clearly labelled with your child’s name as many children possess similar items.
Parent / School Communication:
A few reminders!
- The best/fastest way to contact the school is to call us on (066) 7136618.
- Please remember that Rebecca, our school secretary works from 8.45 am to 2.45 p.m.
- If your call is not answered, please leave a voicemail and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
- If you need to speak to the principal, please call and we will arrange an appointment a.s.a.p.
- If you have a question / query /concern for a teacher, please email the relevant teacher and the teacher will respond a.s.a.p.
- Meetings with staff at the class door to discuss a child’s concern/progress are discouraged on a number of grounds.
- Staff cannot adequately supervise his/her class while at the same time speaking to a parent.
- It is difficult to be discreet when so many children are standing close by.
- It can be embarrassing for a child when his/her parent is talking to staff at a classroom door.
- If you would like to speak at length with a teacher, please email the class teacher or school office and they will reply with a suitable appointment time.
- Formal Parent Teacher meetings will be held in the school in November from 2.30 p.m. to 5.30 p.m.
- All official school messages and correspondence will be sent out electronically via the Aladdin Connect App.
- If your contact details have changed, I would ask you to edit your family profile on the aladdin school app or inform the school secretary of these.
Dealing with Concerns / Complaints:
Everyone in Spa N.S. wishes that any parental concern or complaint would be dealt with informally, fairly and quickly. The following is a summary of the agreed informal concern/complaints procedure to be followed in Spa N.S.
- A parent/guardian who has a class concern/complaint should, firstly arrange an appointment with the class teacher with a view to resolving it.
- Where the parent/guardian is unable to resolve the complaint with the teacher, he/she may approach the Principal with a view to resolving it.
- If the complaint is still unresolved, the parent/guardian may raise the matter with the Chairperson of the Board of Management with a view to resolving it.
Health / Administration of Medicines:
Parents are asked to inform the school in writing if their child suffers from any allergies, long term or short term illness and if their child is on medication. Parents of pupils who require medication or inhalers are asked to make contact with the school principal as soon as possible.
Little break: 10.50am – 11.00am
Big break: 12.30pm – 1.00pm
Our school actively encourages healthy lunches.
There is a homework policy which clearly states the content and length of homework for each class which is available on this website. Parents are encouraged to establish a set routine and time for your child to do his/her homework, in a quiet place free from distractions. Parents are asked to supervise children’s homework, checking and signing the homework diary on completion. Homework should be reasonably attempted and if the homework cannot be completed for any reason a note in the child’s homework diary is required.
The Board of Management appeals to all parents to note, respect and adhere to the eight established safety rules for the morning drop off and the afternoon collection of pupils.
- Parents are responsible for the health & safety of any child once they leave the school grounds for home.
- Please do not block the entrances to the school car parks or the entrances to family homes in the area.
- The Front of the school is used as a drop off area only by parents who wish to pull in, allow their children to step out of the car and enter the school by themselves. Please do not use the drop off area if you are walking your child into the school. It would also eliminate congestion in the school corridors and reduce classroom disruption if the children entered the school without adult accompaniment. It would also foster a sense of independence within the children and make the task of supervision easier.
- Please do not park alongside the old building on the Fenit side of the school. This is the narrowest stretch of road. Parking here will cause a serious bottle neck at opening and closing time.
- Please do not double park outside the school.
- Please do not park on the double yellow line on opposite side of the road.
- Please do not attempt to turn your car in the vicinity of the school.